This is something I wasn’t expecting….The Pulse Of Radio says Thirty Seconds To Mars frontman Jared Leto has been tapped by director Brett Ratner to play late Playboy founder Hugh Hefner in an upcoming biopic. Ratner has been developing the film since 2007 and told the Hollywood Reporter, “Jared is an old friend. When he heard I got the rights to Hef’s story, he told me, ‘I want to play him. I want to understand him.’ And I really believe Jared can do it. He’s one of the great actors of today.”
Hefner just passed away on Sep 27th at the age of 91. Ratner had hoped to introduce Leto to the man he’d be playing on the big screen, but Hefner was in failing health and not greeting guests on the day they came to see him at the Playboy Mansion.
Leto will next be seen as the mysterious creator of a new race of replicants in Blade Runner 2049, which opens this Friday (October 6th). His recent roles include the Joker in 2016′s Suicide Squad and his Oscar-winning portrayal of a trans woman with HIV in 2013′s Dallas Buyers Club.
Leto explained to us a while back how he chooses his film roles: “I know for myself, what I’m interested in as a film watcher — and someone who, you know, is a part of making films — is I want to be proud of what I do. I want to make good films. I want to make great films. I want to work with directors that have a vision and films that have something to say. You know, and I’d like to make films that are entertaining as well, on top of that.”
Meanwhile, Thirty Seconds To Mars’ new single, “Walk On Water,” has reached Number Five on the Modern Rock chart and climbed to Number 17 on the Active Rock survey.
The band has hinted that details about its upcoming fifth album will be unveiled soon.
Kudos to our affiliate Lazer 103.3 in Des Moines. All That Remains dropped by their studios and did an acoustic version of “The Thunder Rolls,” the band’s current single. The official video for the recorded track, BTW, has over 3 million YouTube views.
Wanted to post some more photos the amazing Lou Brutus took at Sonic Boom over the weekend!
Rockstars continue to pay tribute to the passing and genius of Tom Petty…..
- Nickelback wrote: “We are heartbroken beyond words. Shattered. Tom Petty’s music has been a huge part of our lives. Our thoughts are with his family & friends.”
- Zach Myers of Shinedown posted: “I can’t think of a part of my life that a Tom Petty song or record wasn’t involved in …. From birth till last night in my car … You and I were lucky to live in the Tom Petty era … Don’t you forget that.”
- Blink-182‘s Travis Barker wrote: “Rest in peace Tom Petty.”
- The band Garbage stated, “Goodbye Tom Petty. Thank you for all the light you brought to this world.”
- Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith tweeted, “Love me some Tom Petty. #RIPTOM”
- Tom Morello posted, “RIP #TomPetty. His great jams are interwoven with the past four decades. He was a great rock n roller….”
- Halestorm‘s Lzzy Hale wrote: “Tom Petty was a rock n Roll rebel, unapologetic and always true to himself. He trusted his rock n roll compass, and no one was better at putting honest words into music.”
- Bob Dylan: “It’s shocking, crushing news. I thought the world of Tom. He was great performer, full of the light, a friend – and I’ll never forget him.”
- Bruce Springsteen: “A great songwriter and performer, whenever we saw each other it was like running into a long lost brother. Our world will be a sadder place without him.”
- Paul McCartney: “Dear Tom, so sad to hear of his passing. What a lovely, intelligent and talented man he was. Love to his family.”
- Mick Jagger: “So sad about Tom Petty, he made some great music. Thoughts are with his family.”
- Jon Bon Jovi: “I’m crushed. . . Praying for all those affected by Vegas last night. And now the loss of one of my great influences Tom Petty today.”
- Paul Stanley: “No! We have lost Tom Petty. From our opening act in the seventies to becoming a brilliant songwriter and performer I have loved his music.”
- Kid Rock: “Just when I thought today could not get any worse. . . R.I.P. Tom Petty. Thank you for your beautiful music and inspiration.”
And finally today, if this doesn’t make your day a little lighter, I dunno what will!